Sunday, August 17, 2008

C-A-N-A-D-A!















Today I went two hours northeast of Beijing to the Shunyi Olympic Rowing-Canoeing Park. The bus ride was long, but we had some fun Canadians (Toronto) to chat with along the way. After chatting with Joey, I found out he knew my friend Allie from Toronto! They met earlier this summer on the subway.

There were several event, most included Team Canada. I saw the Canadian flag raised for the bronze 4-man rowing team!

The Canadian 8-man rowing team was favored to win Gold...so we were all excited to see the event. It has been the talk of the town among Canadians because we didn't have ANY medals before yesterday rolled around.

I met some more Canucks from Toronto. They were really nice and we all unfurled our Canadian flags over the fence...and in the air! Team Canada took off and had a great lead time. They were almost a full 3/4 boat length ahead of the Americans. The Great Britain team was coming in a close second, but Canada stayed strong. We were cheering so loud...but for 5 minutes and 2000 meters, we couldn't keep up. As the team got closer to the finish line, the Americans got a second wind and hauled forward...we all had our eyes glued to the scoreboard and television monitors. We were determined that nobody could take away the Canadians' Gold medal like in Athens. The race was done, in the distance, the Union Jack, the Stars and Stripes and the Maple Leaf were all being waved back and forth. We knew which teams were going to get medals...but who was first??? Did we pull it off??? Then silence.....the time was flashed up on the scoreboard....5:23:89....


...then a ROAR from the Canadian cheering section... THEY DID IT! GOLD FOR CANADA!!!

We jumped up and down, hugged and ran around with our Canadian flags flying behind us. It was a surreal and unique moment for each of us. Although some were in their 60's and some as young 6 years old, none of us had ever witnessed Canada win a Gold medal! It was so exciting... I can't imagine what it's like for the Rowers!!!

We decided to run towards the flag poles and medal podiums. We had to see it all up close! We waited for almost 30 minutes, but our time came. In Women's 8-person rowing, the Americans won Gold. I sang 95% of their anthem right, but get confused with some verses....I had actually never sung it before! Earlier in the day, Great Britain won a Gold, so I also was able to sing "God Save the Queen." Some lady saw me sing all three and asked how many more anthems I knew... I laughed and told her those were the only three I knew. I lucked out!!!

But after the American anthem... the stage was all for Canada! We were so excited for the moment we could all sing "Oh Canada!" The medals for the men's event were awarded and the flags were brought out. The music started and we all burst out in song! It will be one of the most memorable moments in my life. It was on my "bucket list." I always wanted to sing the Canadian National Anthem at an Olympic event. I got my chance. That is what the Olympics are all about!

I highly suggest you all try it sometime. WOW! Still excited about it!

Mark

P.S. Canada is ranked 17th for medals. Total: 7; Gold: 2, Silver: 1; Bronze:4.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a good singer, nor claim to be one... so Canadians, please enjoy the following clip with that in mind!

No comments: