Monday, August 4, 2008

Tianjin!

On Sunday, I did something I've never done before on land: I traveled at a speed of 350 kilometers an hour!

On August 1, China unveiled a new super high-speed train between Beijing and Tianjin (China's 4th largest city.) The two cities are approximately 170 km apart (105 miles) and the old train ride took about 90 minutes.

Tianjin is a coastal city, and one of China's important historic port cities. During the Opium Wars of the late 1800's, Tianjin was occupied by the French, English, Dutch and Portuguese at different times, leading to very eclectic architecture! Some streets felt like Montreal and New Orleans, others felt like Chicago, New York City and London. It was fun walking down streets with Dutch houses and others with Mediterranean-style roofs.

Our initial goal was to hit the beach, but quickly realized Tang Gu (Tianjin's coastal area) isn't the place for swimming :( We arrived in Tianjin only 30 minutes after leaving Beijing--- at 220 mph, you can get anywhere quickly!! We wandered around until finding the center of Tianjin's commercial market-- including 5 Starbucks and 5 KFC restaurants. At the end of the street was St. Joseph's, a French-style Catholic Cathedral. We spent some time looking inside where it was cool!

We also wandered into an antique market in an old hutong. There were thousands of pieces of art and memorabilia from China's Cultural Revolution in the 1940's. Mao was everywhere! I didn't buy anything from the market, but Matt did buy a US Army helmet...he was saluted by some old Chinese man when we left a McDonalds!

The only thing I bought during the trip was an England Football Uniform. It was only 65 RMB ($9), so it was a good deal! I've always wanted an England Football Jersey (my two English Grandparents would be proud!).

I also want to add... I got to play with the police dogs at the train station! Not just any police dog...but a German Shepherd!!! (My absolutely favorite breed of dog!) I was willing to miss my train just to play with him for longer!

I'll upload a video shortly of the trip! I'm planning on heading back before the end of my China trip!

Mark

No comments: