Monday, August 25, 2008

We didn't start the fire...

Hi guys!

I can't believe it's over! You wait 11 months for something, and next thing you know it's gone! That's right, 11 months. It was late September 2007 when I received an email titled something like "Study Abroad during the Olympics!" My first impression was..."China, really? I've never wanted to go to Asia before." It took a little bit of convincing, but I went to the information meeting. Of the 300+ students in attendance, Fritz told us they were only taking 50. That's one in every 6...NOT reassuring! But the numbers dwindled as applications were turned in...it seemed to be a surreal prospect: I may be going to work for the Beijing Olympic Games!

Whoa! Fast-forward to last night. We decided to go grab a few pizzas before heading over to "Tun" bar in Sanlitun, the expat district. The Olympic News Service hosted a party for all the news service volunteers, the first half of the night, we watched the closing ceremony...the second half of the night, we had a party to celebrate the END! I didn't stay the whole time, a group of us wandered bar to bar finding the best drink specials, stopping to have a drink at each! We eventually made it back to "Tun"--it was over 100* inside and the dance floor was crazy! I lasted for 45 minutes...then had to head outside. There was a party of its own forming outside--and it had cheaper drinks! It was a great night!

Because I was moving from bar to bar, I caught bits and pieces of the closing. The most memorable part for me was seeing the torch extinguishing.

I wish I could explain this better, but I think there aren't enough words or experiences to adequately share what happened here over the past two weeks.

The Olympic Flame was in my face for two straight weeks. I wish you could all feel how inspiring it is to watch the torch burn atop the Bird's Nest. In the worst of times, you always have hope--and that is what the Olympics have taught me.

I can't express how grateful I am to everyone who helped me get here. From the Missouri school of Journalism to BOCOG and most importantly my family and Kristin-- I am so indebted to you all for supporting me this summer. I know it's not easy having someone you love 14,000 miles away, but we got through it. I also need to thank everyone who reads this blog! I still have so much to talk about---and TONS of pictures to post!

I had to pinch myself last night to realize what I had just lived through. I met people from almost every country in the world. Whether we were trading pins or talking on a bus, everyone I met was so eager to know about me and my culture as I was eager to learn about them and their culture.

Before I arrived, I was worried about fitting in. In the last two weeks, I realized that (and as cheezy as it sounds, it's true) we're all just one huge family. The biggest difference between us is our spoken language. I stopped one morning and smiled at an old Chinese lady playing with her (I assume) great-grandchild on the bench. I smiled at her, although I'm not sure why, and got a beaming smile in return. It shows how emotions are universal.

Although I'm not an athlete, I still walked away with the Gold. I have changed so much over the past two and a half weeks, both professionally and personally. I owe the people of China a great deal of thanks for their hospitality. "Xie Xie Zhongguo"

Mark

No comments: