Friday, June 27, 2008

5 days and counting!

I'm five days out from Beijing...and I don't know what to do with myself. I find myself with so much to do and so little time! It's hard to do anything (including grocery shopping) knowing there I'll be gone for two months!

I've been back at work since Tuesday and will be working through noon Monday. I still have a lot of little things to do... I have to pack...store my car...call my banks make sure they know i'm going to China for two months... make sure I have all my ducks in a row... Those are just a few of the many...trust me, this could go on for pages!

I leave on Monday from downtown Columbia. I have an 8 hour bus ride to Union Station in Chicago. I'm going to spend the night with one of my friends who just graduated from the J-school. I've got to be at the airport by 10 am, my flight leave at 12:45 on Tuesday.

FOURTEEN HOURS LATER, after flying over the mother country, the North Pole and most of Russia...I'll be in China! I picked up my Visa the other day, but I can't understand most of it cause it's in Chinese.

On that note, I translated my name into Chinese. It's "威尔士马克," which stands for Wales Mark. (Wales was the closest I could get to "Welsh.") I translated my business card, just waiting for my Chinese cell phone number before sending it to the printers!

I hope you all enjoy reading my blog. It's going to be very tough communicating (because of 12 timezones and working/studying/touring/learning the whole time) with family and friends other than blogging, so I figured I can keep you all updated (with the most details and pictures!) through blogger.

I will be on AIM (mizzoumark09) and Skype (mizzoumark09) as much as possible. I will try blogging one a day, or at least every other day. Not only is this a great way to inform you all about my travels, but I can also use this to reflect upon my trip years from now.

Last, but not least, I will be blogging for KOMU, the NBC affiliate I work for in Missouri. The blog should go "live" in a few days, but you can keep track of me there too!
http://beijingexperience2008.blogspot.com.

Thanks for all your kind words of a safe trip!

Mark (威尔士马克)

No comments: