Thursday, July 10, 2008

Shop 'til I Drop!

I spent yesterday at the Hong Qiao Pearl Market and today at the Silk Street Market. All I can say is I'm ready for bed--- I'm exhausted--both from shopping and bargaining!

At the Pearl Market, I bought three "LaCoste" polos for 30 RMB each, about $4.50 USD. They're really, really nice--but time will tell whether they'll last a washing! I was also able to get a nice D&G belt for 40 RMB. You can't beat the prices in China!

Today, Matt and I bargained for ties, ties, ties! We ended up with 8 silk ties--each for 12 RMB, or about $3.00 each. I also bought a really nice silk tablecloth for my mom (I hope she likes it!) I was able to bargain it down to 100 RMB, or $15 USD.

Matt and I also wandered around the Wanfujing Market area. We visited the flagship "One World" store that sells Olympic gear. Imagine any object, and they've got an Olympic logo on it. I saw a few of the medals they'll issue to the World's top athletes, and also saw blank wine labels with the logo on them too. They have an entire department store floor dedicated to pins! I immediately thought of one of my mom's friends who collects them-- Wow, I could spend a fortune there!

I made the mistake of walking into a tea store! Matt and I were obviously stamped with "American Tourists" across our foreheads because we were immediately taken to a tea room to sample the store's teas. They gave us a few teas to sample and when the told us it was $20 USD a box, we needed an escape plan. I said I was interested in a tea set (right, like I need one) and tried to escape--but she followed us all around the store. Finally we saw an exit and bolted-- I felt bad, but I got over it quickly.

Ok, so tonight we went out to the night food market...yes you've probably seen it circulated around in email attachments, but nothing could prepare me for it. Matt and I are currently working on creating a video to blog on the KOMU site. When it's up, I'll let you know. Until then, I won't tell you what other people ate...oye veh, it was disgusting!

Good night,

Mark

P.S. I'll add pictures when Blogger is back up and running properly... It's running really slow!

1 comment:

Linda said...

Shop till you drop... you're a chip off the old block :)
Sounds like you are getting some great deals!
I am really enjoying reading about your escapades. Not sure I want to see what the people are eating at the night food market though??!!
Love you,
Mom